Babies and Toddlers

Did you know that only about 15% of the newborns brain is connected up at birth? Like a 2010B 384spider building a complex web of neurons, the young brain busily makes billions of connections, so that by the 3rd birthday most of the remaining 85% is connected (see Zero to Three for more details).

This is why Stepping Stones believes strongly in the importance of early intervention for babies and toddlers. Therapy can be very effective in these early years while the brain is ‘still under construction’.

If you are concerned with any of the following areas of your baby/toddler’s development, Stepping Stones can help:

  • Delayed milestones such as:

    • Rolling

    • Sitting2010B 139

    • Crawling

    • Walking

    • General clumsiness

  • Development of play skills such as difficulties with:

    • Manipulating toys with hands

    • Using their two hands together (e.g.: clapping, banging blocks together)

    • Completing age appropriate puzzles

    • Limited play interests

    IMG_7319

  • Sensory processing difficulties that impact on behaviour and participation, such as:

    • Touch sensitivity – for example they may dislike being cuddled, having their hair washed or brushed, being un/dressed, getting messy, or being tickled (or other light touch).

    • Movement sensitivity  – for example they may dislike rough and tumble play, dislike going on swings/ trampolines etc

    • Other types of anxiousness – for example they may be overly fretful in new environments, overly sensitive to certain sounds, or need more support than other children to calm themselves.

Advertisements